Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Blog #4: A Reflection on Internet Inquiry - Module 3


My Experience with Evaluating Effective Web Resources

     Since my freshman year of high school, I have been expected to include factual evidence within my assigned essays to support my conclusions. Over the years, I have learned that gathering information from reliable sources is absolutely essential. I have listed a few questions to pose as reminders for an analysis of a website's credibility. These have always helped me along the way when identifying a site as an effective digital resource while browsing, learning, and researching. Maybe these can help you too! Ask yourself the following questions while looking up information:

  1. IS AN AUTHOR LISTED? WHO IS THIS AUTHOR? IS HE/SHE QUALIFIED TO SPEAK ABOUT THE TOPIC? 
  2. IS THE PIECE OPINION BASED? DO THE VIEWPOINTS OUTWEIGH THE FACTS?
  3. IS THIS PIECE BIASED? IS IT A DIRECT REFLECTION OF THE AUTHOR'S BELIEFS AND INTERPRETATIONS OR CAN IT BE DIRECTLY RELATED TO EVIDENCE AND THOROUGH RESEARCH?
  4. IS THE INFORMATION CURRENTLY RELEVANT? CAN YOU STILL USE THE INFORMATION ON THE WEBSITE IN AN ARGUMENT TODAY?
  5. WHERE IS ALL THIS INFORMATION COMING FROM? DOES THE AUTHOR LIST HIS/HER SOURCES? 
  6. HOW DOES THE WEBSITE APPEAR? IS IT A PERSONAL WEBSITE? DOES THE LINK HAVE".GOV" IN THE END? DOES THE SITE LOOK REPUTABLE AND PROFESSIONAL?

No comments:

Post a Comment