Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Blog #2 - A Reflection on TED Talks - Module 4


     I think it is quite remarkable to think about how digital our world is becoming. As I have stated in previous blog posts, I really cannot express how grateful I am as well as intrigued about how our research and learning is almost entirely centered through online mediums.

     With that being said, I wanted to discuss my experience with TED presentations. TED, which stands for technology, entertainment, and design, is a global set of conferences. Their slogan, "Ideas worth spreading", truly epitomizes the nature of each and every TED talk. Educated, inspiring, and interesting people from all around the world come to the stage to give a presentation that shares their talents as well as their contributive, credible, and eye-opening ideas with the entire digital world.

     I remember being a junior in high school when I first discovered TED's website. I was performing in our school's spoken word poetry slam that spring, and I searched on google for some videos for inspiration. There, I found a video from TED's website of a wonderful poet named Sarah Kay, who had performed her poetry for TED multiple times. There, I found even more spoken word artists on TED, and soon enough, I was exposed to an entire database of creative and intellectual inquiry presented by lovely people all across the globe.

     From that day on, I had used TED talks for almost every single research paper of mine. The concepts demonstrated by these bright individuals were utterly captivating and greatly connected with the topics I wrote about. And the best part--the speakers at TED talks are credible sources! These were individuals who spent their entire lives researching and exploring the ideas they discussed within their presentations. These individuals have written various texts on their particular subjects, have educational backgrounds, and are published and well-known in many educational and professional communities.

     Even if I do not have a research paper to write, I still find myself viewing TED talks in my spare time. I am always left feeling so lifted, stimulated, and encouraged to learn more. TED, simply put, is mesmerizing. I encourage everyone to invest their time in at least one TED talk a month. My favorite TED presentation thus far is "Education Kills Creativity" by Sir Ken Robinson. WATCH THAT. You will not be disappointed, my friends!

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard about TED talks until this class. I was a little interested after hearing about them, but after reading your post, I'm kind of excited about watching some of them - thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete