Monday, December 1, 2014

Screencasts VS Written Instructions

Blog #2: Reflection Post - My Take on Screencasts - Module 6


WHY I FEEL SCREENCASTS ARE BETTER THAN WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS


     Ever since I was a young student in elementary school, I have always struggled with written instructions. I remember dreading the days that I had science class, simply because I found that the written instructions for completing experiments were too difficult to follow. While this may be different for others, I find that written instructions can be EXTREMELY ambiguous for one major reason:
  1. There is no VISUAL demonstration to follow along...
     BECAUSE there was no visual process for me to see during elementary science experiments, I found myself extremely confused and worried that I could potentially blow the classroom up by mixing the wrong chemicals. (Seems silly, but hey, you never know what can happen). No visual demonstration meant that I would learn how to do a task the WRONG way, which is the exact opposite outcome that instructions should give.

     With this being said, SCREENCASTS became my go-to in teaching myself how to perform any certain task efficiently. There was no confusion because I could physically see the execution of each step... not only what to do in each step but HOW to do it. 

     After watching a tutorial, I always feel much more confident than reading instructions from a paper. I fully understand how the process is supposed to be completed and therefore, I can complete the process with little to no error. 

No comments:

Post a Comment