Sunday, September 28, 2014

Blog #4: My Take on Social Media - Module 2

     In this post, I would like to reflect on what I have gathered from the social media site, Facebook, over the years. Evidently, Facebook, plays an immense role within our current day society.  As much as I believe this engine could be beneficial in terms of communicating and networking, I find that Facebook poses more as a detriment to individual and communal perception.

      Whereas many people view this popular social media site as a community for their immediate circles as well as people they would like to stay "connected" with, I see Facebook from a much different view. From my experience, I do not find Facebook to be a community that quite literally links and connects me with those I have a difficult time staying in touch with. I find Facebook to be utterly materialistic and ultimately artificial. Despite the nice idea of the Facebook profile displaying to "friends" who you are, what you like, what you are interested in, what music you listen to, what movies and TV shows you watch, what books you read, etc., I personally see the Facebook profile as a fake representation of the individual user. I say this because the user chooses how they want to be perceived on their profile, and therefore the profile does not communicate a true portrayal of the individual user. Users want other users to view them in a certain manner. Typically, we choose the best photo of ourselves for our profile picture. However, often times, our best photos rarely capture our true identity. The process of picking and choosing through various links to describe who we are is unnatural. I described the profile as materialistic because I feel it pertains to physical concepts as opposed to emotional and personal ones. More specifically, I will allow my "friends" to see that I like these books or these places, but I fail to let these so-called "friends" understand how these books and places make me feel or why I am so intrigued by them. There is a lack of connection between interests and why users are interested in them. This materialism makes the online community shallow.

     Above all of this, I feel Facebook limits users from developing personal, natural, relations with others. The concept of "friending" an individual without actually being physically present with the opposing party seems strange when given thought. Facebook eliminates a real atmosphere by creating a virtual world with "friends." My question is what kind of friend are you if you can only reach out to me via a computer screen? Personally, it's a bit too on the surface for me. I am one who enjoys real conversation and truly getting to know someone. Facebook completely diminishes the importance of socializing face to face, thus creating a shallow community (again).

     In moderation, I feel the use of Facebook is totally acceptable. Under certain circumstances, it is understandable to use Facebook frequently. Situations such keeping in touch with loved ones who do not live close pertain to this. Facebook is also a great way to plan events with a large mass of people.

     However, in daily living, I feel Facebook use should be kept at a bare minimum. Stop inventing yourself online and go out into the world and find who you are. Have a conversation with a stranger. Read a book. Travel. Network IN PERSON. Participate in charity work. Create a name for yourself outside of the online domains. In the long run, you'll probably be happier you did this.

No comments:

Post a Comment